Friday, October 26, 2007

Jack Jack...



Life with a dog is always an adventure. Those of you whom have dogs know this to be true. Our dog Jack 3 1/2, is a great dog, he is always so happy to see us, anxious for a walk, and ready to have his belly or bumm rubbed any time and a wonderful companion for me....However, Jack is a sensitive boy. A little background: When he was just a little puppy of 3 1/2 months we found out he had demadex mites, the result of having a poor immune system. He was treated for this for about 5 months before obtaining a clean bill of health. Throughout the last few years we have noticed that he is sensitive to various environment changes, temp changes, breaks out in rashes, gets colds easily etc. Paul and I have also been told that he has "a poor immune system, and sensitive skin." The point of all of this is that last week I noticed that Jack had some sore on his belly and chest that kept popping up, he seemed like he was acting like himself except that he sure liked to rub his chin on the floor and against the sofa, in addition he was shedding way more than usual. By Friday of last week I noticed a lesion on his chin the size of a nickel that clearly was infected, not to mention it stunk like very bad dog breath. So, after yet another expensive trip to the vet. Jack has been diagnosed with allergies, started on yet another round of antibiotics, as well as vita mines to boost his immune system. We have to first get this set of infectious lesions cleared up, and report back to the vet. and if they return undergo hypoallergenic dog food diet and skin testing. She said that they could be allergies from anything such as pollen to his food to stress over moving again.

Thank you to all who have inquired about him. He is doing much better now and the lesions are clearing up...now we'll just wait to see how this all plays out over the next few weeks. As of tonight, he is a happy dog, he has been fed (and inhaled the bowl of food), walked, brushed, and rubbed and content to keep my feet warm while I write this. For those of you whom don't have a dog to love, you really are missing out on a wonderful companion and unconditional love. We wouldn't trade him for the world. Woof woof.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

Life for me going well. I have two days left in my current rotation at LA county hospital NeuroSurgery. I actually like the neurosurg rotation, which was a surprise to me. The days have been long, however, I share the cases with a resident so we just constantly give each other breaks so that the days go by fast. On November 1st I am off to the West LA VA Hospital for a month of cardiac surgery anesthesia. these one month rotations make the months fly by (for those of us counting I have 10 months left). I am anxiously awaiting my finish so that we Paul, Jack and I can all be together again.

Hey, one more thought, I have enjoyed hearing about how wonderful the fall weather is this year and how lovely the leaves are. Its been beautiful here in sunny southern California, the temp. has not yet been below 75 during the day, the smog is thick as ever, and just yesterday I noticed that it was 97 degrees out at 3:00 PM when i left the hospital and there was ash falling in the air. I think I have figured out why so many people like living here, whats not to like?! I hope the sarcasm is coming through loud and clear :)

Woof Woof

No comments: